VEX IQ Girl Powered Online Challenge Sponsored by Google
Girl Powered is an initiative to redefine the face of STEM by creating a more inclusive environment for all students within the robotics community. Together, with the support of the entire community, we strive to encourage equal participation of young women and men in competitive robotics. We want to use this challenge to show the robotics community at large just what it means to be a Girl Powered VEX IQ Challenge team!
Things to keep in mind for a successful submission:
- When you hear the phrase, Girl Powered, what comes to mind? How is it reflected in your team’s approach to robotics?
- Share how your team took initiative to create a more inclusive environment that attracts a diverse group of students.
- Share how each team member tried various roles on the team (designing, building, driving, programming, strategy, awards, etc.). Explain what you learned through this experience.
- How do you believe diversity of perspective changes your robot design, your team chemistry, and even your ability to succeed?
- Who is your STEM role model and why? Does this person inspire you to have a more inclusive team/program? How?
We want compelling, engaging stories that give us insight into how you’ve taken the Girl Powered initiative and incorporated it into your experience on a VEX IQ Challenge team. The benefit of having a diverse team becomes apparent through your individual stories.
By Liliana Johnson
What does girl-powered mean to me? Our team has both boys and girls on it, but we definitely are a girl-powered team. I say this because girls have an equal voice, equal vote and are equally involved in every part of our robotics program. This has not always been the case.
Worldwide, girls haven’t been as involved in STEM as boys have been. One of my STEM role models is Sally Ride. She is the first female American astronaut. She got to work a robotic arm as...
NOVA IQ Robotics is a Girl Powered team that prioritizes leadership and collaboration to empower girls to reach their full potential. Our essay, Girlpowerment, is our take on how the Girl Powered Initiative empowers us as a team!
- Jeanelle Reyna and Victoria Fisher of Team 99808A
Follow our adventures on Instagram @NOVA.IQ.Robotics and on Twitter using #99808Robotics!
We are Team 30636E, The Cool Cucumbers from TMA. Our team is: Sana Malik, Nha-Y Le, Aleena Thomas, Celia Van Auker, and Cheryll Prabakaran. We love robotics and had a lot of fun this year as an all girl team. Thank you VEX and Google for creating this challenge.