The Wire Clip
Entry ID #: 2002
Created: Wed, Jan 6, 2016 4:15 PM
3018V VEXcalibur's CAD Challenge 2016 - The Wire Clip
Have you ever had trouble wiring your robot? Well fear not, because with the Wire Clip, it will make your life much easier.
We decided to try this challenge and immediately started brainstorming ideas. We wanted a product that was simple to make, but was very practical and useful. After a couple of votes, we decided on the Wire Clip. The Wire Clip will not only make wiring quicker and easier, it will also eliminate the waste of zip ties.
We went to VEX.com and watched the tutorials for Autodesk Inventor. One of our team member’s dad is a mechanical engineer, so he helped us learn how to use the soft ware.
After looking up different types of clips that we could design, we found that a simple cable clip design would work the best. We held a series of meetings to work on our design.
We eventually finished the Wire Clip and made a short video to help explain its usefulness (see video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJsVyHUmqY).
One of our sponsors, KUL 3D, used their 3d printer to print a couple of clipsfor us to use. We made a little robot to test the clips on and they worked really well.
Using the CAD software was really fun and we can’t wait for the next challenge! The experience we gained from this project will be very helpful inour future careers and future years of VEX. One of the things we would do to improve this part would be to make different sizes for different amounts of wires.
Here is a more detailed list of the design process:
How did we use CAD to design our part?
- We watched tutorials on how to use inventor at VEX.com to learn how to use the software
- We drew simple shapes such as cubes and put holes In them to get use to using the software
- We built a robot named Scout in the software from downloaded STEP files from VEX.com
- We removed internal parts and wire from the motor
- We sketched and extruded base
- We sketched/extruded/cut/revolved to make the plug
- We attached the clip onto the base
- We assembled the clips onto the robot and routed motor wires through them to the brain
- We created a part drawing(IDW) to explain the part in further detail
- We inserted title block, placed base projection section detail and isometric views
- Dimensioned the part
- Selected material and inserted a bill of material
How does this part work with other VEX parts?
- It plugs into square holes of the extrusion
- It orients the wires with the extrusion
- It can hold up to four pairs of wires
What does the part do?
- It reduces the waste of Zip-ties
- It makes wiring faster and easier
- It holds and routes wires
- It is easy to install wires in
How would we make this part better?
- Reduce material by reducing size of base and clip
- Color-code for different motors?
- Make clip bigger for bundling wires together