Product Design Challenge
Design and build a VEX Robot that can do a household chore or activity that would be considered to be a necessity, convenience or entertainment.
- 1st: 2009 VEX Robotics Product Design Award, 1 VEX Robotics Classroom Lab Kit, Autodesk Software Package, Automatic Team Qualification for the 2010 VRC World Championship
- 2nd: 1 VEX Dual Control Starter Bundle, Autodesk Software Package
- 3rd: 1 VEX Protobot Robot Kit, Autodesk Software Package
To be eligible to become a finalist, submissions and robots must meet the following four criteria:
- Include written description that explains the purpose of the robot, what it does, how it works and how its function would make it a useful household item.
- Include Bill of Materials (BOM) listing all the parts required to build the robot and its total retail cost
- 1 to 3 pictures showing the completed robot
- Include short video that shows a built and functional robot accomplishing its stated design goal
- up to 5 points for a detailed and completed BOM
- up to 10 points for the written description based on effective communication, etc.
- up to 35 points for the robot construction and video demonstration
- Quality of the pictures and video - is the robot presented well, is it appealing and/or interesting, does it appear to be well fabricated (5 pts)
- Level of safety and reliability incorporated into design and finished robot (5 pts)
- Robot Concept (10 points)
- To what degree does the voter feel that the robot function addressed one of the three desired results of the challenge (necessity, convenience or entertainment)
- Performance (15 points)
- How well does the robot perform the function it was designed for
- The community voting will determine 8 of the 10 finalists to make the final round of judging. 2 additional submissions chosen by the VEX Advisory Councils and Innovation First engineers. The 10 finalist submissions will then be scored with a weighted system including the community voting scores, scores given by the VEX Robotics Advisory Councils and scores given by IFI engineers. The combined scores of the judging panel will determine the 2009 Product Design Challenge winners.
Sun, Mar 26, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
Mon, Dec 15, 2008 12:00 AM CST
Thu, Apr 9, 2009 11:59 PM CDT
Thu, Apr 23, 2009 11:59 PM CDT