Greene Middle School Make it Real CAD
Entry ID #: 8842
Created: Mon, Dec 7, 2020 10:44 PM
Anthony Andrews, Paul Wang, Conrad Lui, and Kelly Tanaka 07 December 2020 Make it Real Cad Final Report We created this part to solve a major issue not only our team had but an issue that many other teams' struggled with. Last year when we were testing and competing with our robot we had a lot of issues with our robot not moving. At first, we thought that our motors were broken and that we needed to buy new ones. But after rigorous testing, we found out the real issue was that the motors were getting dust and other metals in them but that was not the only problem. The most detrimental problem was that the motors were overheating too easily. After using our robot for a mere 10 minutes the motors became so hot they weren’t functioning. In turn, we had limited driving practice and autonomous testing time. Motors are the key to a successful robot without motors a robot wouldn’t be able to function. In order to be productive and efficient, we needed to fix these various issues with the motors! The fan attaches onto the axle of each of the motors and blows cool air onto the motors as it spins, cooling it down and preventing the motors from overheating. This is advantageous as it removes the need to use canned dusters upside-down to cool the motor. Furthermore, the aggressive pitch and 5 blade-design of the fan ensures enough air is blown across the motor to keep the motor cool. Additionally, this would be advantageous because it would remove the need to limit the power of the motor as another means of keeping the motors cool, and can keep the motors running at full power. The flexible TPU filament used to print the fans means it will be more durable and won't be dangerous if someone were to accidentally touch. We used Autodesk Fusion 360 Education Edition version macOS 10.16.0 via our school district, to sketch two circles. An inner with a square hole for the axle, and an outer circle with 5, 72 degree lines from the inner to outer circles to act as the 5 blades. We then duplicated the sketch, extruded out the inner circle of one sketch, and rotated the duplicate sketch 20 degrees. Then we used the loft tool between the two sketches to create 5 curves to act as fan blades. Additionally, we used the fillet tool to give the fan blades a blade like design. Finally, we exported the design as an STL file, sliced and printed it. We learned from this project that when you have a problem you need to take initiative and solve it. We also learned more about how to CAD in the best possible way. But the most important thing that we learned from this project is the importance of not giving up. We learned that even though our CAD might not be right the first time we needed to just keep trying and not give up. We will definitely use 3D design software in the future because using Fusion 360 was such a great positive learning experience for our group. We will be using the software to solve other problems that we never took the initiative to solve such as having a controller strap in order to prevent any damage from dropping the controller. This software helps our robotics team because when you CAD a robot online using a program such as Fusion we are able to test out the design before actually having to build it then take it part again. Using Fusion will help us be more effective with our robot design. 3D design software will definitely help us in our career path because after this really fun experience with Fusion 360 our group has become very interested in different types of 3D software. And this new interest will help us decide what we want to do in the future.