VRC High School - Photography Challenge
Community voting for this challenge will open at 2pm Central time on February 9th. To place your vote, click on the "View Finalists" button under the "Entries" heading. View the entries using the links in the list of Finalists, and click on the thumbs-up icon on the page for your favorite entry to vote for it. Note that you must be logged into the system to place a vote.
Calling all VEX photographers! You know that math is crucial to robotics…but can you visualize it? For this challenge, take a photo that encapsulates the intersection between VEX Robotics and mathematics and share it with us. Math is everywhere, but it’s sometimes hard to find, so be creative!
Remember that mathematics is much more than numbers!
patterns or sequences,
and many other things!
|Elementary School||Middle School||High School||College / University||No Grade Level Restrictions|
|VEX Robotics Competition|
After the initial phase of judging has taken place, the TOP TEN (10) finalists will be selected. Community voting will then open up to select the 1st place winner.
1st: $200 VEX Robotics gift certificate
9 Finalists: $100 VEX Robotics gift certificate
Finalists and winners will be selected at each of the following programs and grade ranges, for a total of five (5) prize packages:
VIQC Elementary School
VIQC Middle School
VRC Middle School
VRC High School
Teams must be part of a registered VRC High School team for the current season.
This page is for VRC High School entries only - if you are any other program or grade level, please refer to the Online Challenge Page to find the correct page for your program and grade level.
Only one entry per team is permitted. However, each team in a multi-team school or club program may submit one entry. For example, teams 123A and 123B could each submit an entry, but team 123A could not submit two entries. Entries must vary in content and presentation to be considered separate entries.
Entries submitted in previous years’ Online Challenges are not eligible for submission this year.
Rules of the Challenge
The challenge is to submit a photo that best represents what you love about being involved in robotics and that tells a complete story, focusing on a favorite aspect of VRC. The submission should fit the theme for the current season and convey an emotion, specifically the feeling you experience when you are doing what you love most.
The theme for the photography challenge for the 2022-2023 season is: Mathematics.
Things to keep in mind for a successful submission:
A submission must meet these minimum requirements in order to be judged.
Upload InstructionsClick the green Enter Challenge button on the right side of the screen.
The winning submissions will be chosen by the staff of VEX Robotics along with additional design professionals, using the judging criteria. The TOP TEN (10) photographs will be recognized as finalists online and will then go through community judging to determine the winner.
Technical Rules for the Contest
- Submit photographs that are un-manipulated and real. We want to see what you see, not the result of Photoshop manipulation.
- Do not digitally enhance or alter your photographs beyond the basics of realistic color balance and sharpness. Do not digitally add or remove anything.
- Does the photograph tell a compelling story and is it clearly focused on the topic?
- Does the picture convey an emotion or feeling that can be experienced with robotics?
- Is the photo technically well done? Does it make effective use of lighting and composition?
- If a statement was also submitted, does the description (100 words maximum) support the image and mood depicted in the photo? Does it describe the reason this photo was selected for this challenge, and does it add to the story the photo itself is telling? Is the description clear and well written, with proper grammar and sentence structure?
- Does the title of the photo support the description and idea or concept presented?
- Up to 5 points for correct format of digital photograph
Up to 5 points for correct format of written description
Up to 15 points for photo tellling a compelling story that meets the theme of the current theme
Up to 15 points for emotion conveyed through photo
Up to 15 points for technique and effective use of lighting and composition
Up to 15 points for the description supporting the image and mood of the photo
Up to 5 points for the title supporting the description of the photo
Sun, Mar 26, 2023 8:35 PM CDT
Mon, Dec 5, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Fri, Jan 13, 2023 2:00 PM CST
Mon, Feb 20, 2023 5:00 PM CST