Robotics Education & Competition Foundation
Online Challenges

Rotational Gusset

2

7983B
Entry ID #: 4792
Created: Tue, Jan 9, 2018 2:15 PM


CAD Make It Real Challenge Throughout the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 school year the VEX robotics challenge has provided us with unique problems and interesting opportunities to create robots to solve them. As our designs got more and more complex they also became larger and required more structure and bracing to remain intact. Despite the large amount of parts VEX puts out for this purpose we found quite frequently that we were having to brace two parts on different levels over large distances. We created simple fixes using parts available but we used this challenge to create a more official and hopefully permanent solution. There are currently 2 of the “homemade” versions of this part on our robot made using shaft collars with set screws removed to allow them to be attached on opposite ends of a standoff of whatever length is necessary. Without these parts we would have to create a brace that is much larger and would interfere with the other mechanisms on our robot including our primary lift. The 2 parts being braced are around 6 inches apart, both vertically and horizontally, and without the brace, our lift to pick up mobile goals would have free reign to lean and tip as weight is put on it. Any situation such as this, where circumstances make bulkier bracing incompatible, would be an excellent use for our part. In past games we could also see this part being used for bracing flywheels as they were quite heavy and clunky to attach for a lot of our teams. Last year in Starstruck we also saw a similar part being used by several teams including ours to brace the two sides of any 4/6/8 bars and so on. The spacing on the piece is made to screw onto any VEX part using the standard ½ inch spacing, and as they will be mounted to standoffs they can be rotated to allow for placement on parts that may not be parallel.   We used Autodesk Inventor version 2016 to create this part with skills and knowledge learned in the first and second years of our PLTW courses where we worked with the software on assignments and projects. All measurements are based off of the VEX parts found in our class and were assembled in inventor to ensure they would fit according to the existing VEX Inventor models. Once the measurements were obtained we simply created all of the separate parts as well as imported any necessary pre existing models and assembled them in a .ipt file. This project has refreshed the Inventor program in our minds as well as allowing us to look into how we would solve this problem if we had more resources and if the rules didn’t limit introducing home created parts rather than only things like this to be done out of official VEX parts. I personally enjoyed the project and I like the final product we arrived at although i feel it may need prototyping to cut down on size or it will risk becoming too bulky to fit its intended purpose.

Links / Videos

There is nothing here.