Future Foundation Entry (8110R)
Entry ID #: 4405
Created: Thu, Dec 21, 2017 4:08 PM
Vex Future Foundation Online Challenge-Ethan Rittmiller 8110R “The Knights”
I came up with many ideas in regards to this challenge, and though of two ideas. The first idea was a soccer net with the nothing but net net, and the balls from toss-up. My second idea (the one I am pursuing) is to make a tee ball stand out of Skyrise bases, “pillars”, and Nothing but Net balls. This project should take 1 Skyrise base, 5 Skyrise “pillars”, and 3 Nothing but Net balls. 10/3/17
Pre Building Phase Process Steps:
- Acquire Vex components to be used in build
- Either cut Vex game items into a bat, or add new components to be used in build (to be determined at a later date)
- Put all build components together.
- Spray paint game items used in the build.
- Write a conclusion-put pictures into document-Turn in 10/12/17
Process Images and Revised Steps 10/12/17-11/25/17
- Actual steps of process differed from the ones stated above in order or execution
- Acquire Vex components for build
- Bat will be cut to a length of 29in. For the age range of a 6-7 year old
- Bat will be spray painted a maroon color and set to dry
- Stand will be cut to 23.5in. to suite the targeted age range of 6-7
- Stand will be smoothed out after cut with sandpaper
- Stand will be spray painted black
- Stand will be set to dry
- Vex will be painted onto both the stand and the bat.
- Stand will be nailed down t a weighted wooden base with nails for stability
- A test by a child in my specified age range will be done.
- Editions may have to be made at a later date depending on the results of my test.
- After the design has been tested to work well, I will write a conclusion
- A 2 minute and 15 second video will be created with WeVideo (paid version) to show off my idea
The Bat has been given a thinner PVC pipe on the end to give it a more ergonomic feel while holding it and will have a squishier grip. Both the bat and tee will have been painted red and black.
The bat went through a few renditions with the decision finally being made to add a non Vex PVC item to make the bat feel more natural to swing/hold. The tee was the simplest aspect of the build only requiring adhesive to hold the parts together in addition to a paint job. The tee however did not require all the parts allocated to it so one “pillar” piece was left over. The last steps of this process were to create a video showing off the finished product.