VRC Girl Powered Online Challenge Sponsored by Google
Girl Powered is an initiative to redefine the face of STEM by creating a more inclusive environment for all students within the robotics community. Together, with the support of the entire community, we strive to encourage equal participation of young women and men in competitive robotics. We want to use this challenge to show the robotics community at large just what it means to be a Girl Powered VEX Robotics Competition team!
Things to keep in mind for a successful submission:
- When you hear the phrase, Girl Powered, what comes to mind? How is it reflected in your team’s approach to robotics?
- Share how your team has taken initiative to create a more inclusive environment that attracts a diverse group of students.
- Share how each team member has tried various roles on the team (everything from designing, to building, programming, strategy, awards, etc.). Explain what you learned through this experience.
- How do you believe diversity of perspective changes your robot design, your team chemistry, and even your ability to succeed?
- Who is your STEM role model and why? Does this person inspire you to have a more inclusive team / program? How?
We want compelling, engaging stories that give us insight into how you’ve taken the Girl Powered initiative and incorporated it into your experience on a VRC team. The benefit of having a diverse team will become apparent through your individual stories.
This paper is about Kallysta Rays expirence as one of the only girls on her team threwout the years. Her team, 3183A, has worked in creating a girl powered event at the school. They have also learned to work well with eachothers differences. 3183A is a big believer in girl power and wants to inspire more girls to go into the STEM feilds.
What does having girls in robotics classes mean? Well, to the world it shows how women are strong and independent, that we can do anything a guy can. When girls hear the words “Girl Powered’ they feel proud of what they are and feel powerful that they could conquer anything. Many girls all over the world aren’t encouraged to pursue a career in...
Girl Powered VEX Robotics is used to welcome different groups of children of all ages into the competitive VEX Robotics world. The Girl Powered motto started as a way to influence girls to participate in the engineering field, but has morphed into a way to show that anyone willing and wanting to compete can do so.
Check out our presentation to see more about our experience!