VIQC Girl Powered Online Challenge Sponsored by Google
Girl Powered is an initiative to redefine the face of STEM by creating a more inclusive environment for all students within the robotics community. Together, with the support of the entire community, we strive to encourage equal participation of young women and men in competitive robotics. We want to use this challenge to show the robotics community at large just what it means to be a Girl Powered VEX IQ Challenge team!
Things to keep in mind for a successful submission:
- When you hear the phrase, Girl Powered, what comes to mind? How is it reflected in your team’s approach to robotics?
- Share how your team has taken initiative to create a more inclusive environment that attracts a diverse group of students.
- Share how each team member has tried various roles on the team (everything from designing, to building, programming, strategy, awards, etc.). Explain what you learned through this experience.
- How do you believe diversity of perspective changes your robot design, your team chemistry, and even your ability to succeed?
- Who is your STEM role model and why? Does this person inspire you to have a more inclusive team / program? How?
We want compelling, engaging stories that give us insight into how you’ve taken the Girl Powered initiative and incorporated it into your experience on a VEX IQ Challenge team. The benefit of having a diverse team will become apparent through your individual stories.
Team 98000H- F.B.I.
AGENT HARPER of the F.B.I. (our robot) speaking
I know for sure that I’m made from hard work and persistence. I’m just wheels and a brain, assembled with parts that don’t always fit perfectly, but I know for sure that I’m something for my team to be proud of. “Beep” The sound of my brain turning on sparks excitement among the girls as their hands reach down to lift me. My controller connects,...
We are Girl Powered! When we hear the words Girl Powered, the first thing that comes to our mind is that GIRLS can DO anything. Girls can BE anything. Girls cannot be stopped. We think of powerful girls working together and of girls/women in the STEM field area. We think of superhero girls working together to help each other. Click on the link to read more!