VEX IQ Challenge Girl Powered Online Challenge Sponsored by Google
Girl Powered is an initiative to redefine the face of STEM by creating a more inclusive environment for all students within the robotics community. Together, with the support of the entire community, we strive to encourage equal participation of young women and men in competitive robotics. We want to use this challenge to show the robotics community at large just what it means to be a Girl Powered VEX IQ Challenge team!
Things to keep in mind for a successful submission:
- When you hear the phrase, Girl Powered, what comes to mind? How is it reflected in your team’s approach to robotics?
- Share how your team has taken initiative to create a more inclusive environment that attracts a diverse group of students.
- Share how each team member has tried various roles on the team (everything from designing, to building, programming, strategy, awards, etc.). Explain what you learned through this experience.
- How do you believe diversity of perspective changes your robot design, your team chemistry, and even your ability to succeed?
- Who is your STEM role model and why? Does this person inspire you to have a more inclusive team/program? How?
We want compelling, engaging stories that give us insight into how you’ve taken the Girl Powered initiative and incorporated it into your experience on a VEX IQ Challenge team. The benefit of having a diverse team will become apparent through your individual stories.
My name is Anna Birman, I am in 8th grade, and I recently joined the robotics team, The Electric Pythons. I feel so lucky to live in Silicon Valley, the booming center of technology and a cultural melting pot. Revolutionary inventions and mindsets are forming right here. I am surrounded by people who are helping kids learn how to think creatively and logically, and they help us understand that we are capable of inventing and creating something that will help the world. I often look around and think, what better place to think, design, and tinker, than my home, Silicon Valley? In...
When girl powered is said the first thing that comes to mind is people coming together and doing what the we need to do as a team. It's reflected in my robotics team because as a team we come together when we build the robot, we would need to come together and communicate so we can get this robot finished and try our best to win competitions. We attract group of students by working all together as a team. Each team member was working there best and taking part in any way to get this robot that we created moving and working. I learned a lot from building this robot like the way...
- When you hear the phrase, Girl Powered, what comes to mind? How is it reflected in your team’s approach to robotics? When i hear this word im thinking strong minded in doing what we need to do as a team.
- Share how your team has taken initiative to create a more inclusive environment that attracts a diverse group of studends. How we attract group off students is how we all work together as a team and communicate.
- share how each team member has various roles on the team (everything from designing, to building, programming, strategy, awards, etc.) Explain... Read more
Team 2014R – Teamwork is Everything!
When we hear the phrase “Girl Powered” we think about how girls and boys can change the world. We can show that we are strong and that we never give up. In robotics you can’t give up and your team is there to support you and help you succeed.
The boys in our team thought that Girl Powered was just about girls and felt a bit excluded from this but now they understand that it really means that everyone is included. This is reflected in our team’s approach to...
When I hear "girl power" I think of a team of girls working together on what they are trying to accomplish. This is my teams and I's first time being on the robotics team and we have had many ups and downs. We started off with nothing and made our way up from there. We went to a competition with a robot that didn't work and instead of giving up we kept building and working together and made a robot that did work. Us working together helped us made our friendship stronger and learning from our mistakes. Girl power means to work with each other to accomplish what you want...
Team 5x5 could have easily been a girls only team, but we wanted to include boys so not only do we learn from their strengths but they learn from ours. We believe by encouraging kids to participate in robotics competions with both genders will help close the gender gap for future females entering STEM fields.
This is a story about Team 2014P Sandpiper Pirates.
When engaging with VEX IQ Challenge, we, the pirates, have discovered the true treasure that will encourage us to explore new area, empower us to face any challenge, and strengthen our capacity to thrive in any situation.
We want to share the true treasure with you.
Our team Roboforce is an excellent example of girl power and diversity. Our essay is about our team that is a prominently girls team, is achieving success by having diversity in the team , role rotation and respecting each other's perpectives to achieve success.
Please see attached our detailed essay to explain how we have achieved the goal to create a succesful team using girl power.
Credits- Aashna Shah, Rosheeta Sheth, Aryaa Shah, Kriti Tatia, Rishi Gosrani & Vijit...
There were only five seconds left before the buzzer rang. We HAD to make sure that we scored a high hang. We HAD to tie with the winning team. This was our chance to go to provincials. Everything depended on our robot’s final move but WAIT, before we tell you how this ended, you should know how it all began.