VRC Girl Powered Online Challenge Sponsored by Google
Girl Powered is an initiative to redefine the face of STEM by creating a more inclusive environment for all students within the robotics community. Together, with the support of the entire community, we strive to encourage equal participation of young women and men in competitive robotics. We want to use this challenge to show the robotics community at large just what it means to be a Girl Powered VEX Robotics Competition team!
Things to keep in mind for a successful submission:
- When you hear the phrase, Girl Powered, what comes to mind? How is it reflected in your team’s approach to robotics?
- Share how your team has taken initiative to create a more inclusive environment that attracts a diverse group of students.
- Share how each team member has tried various roles on the team (everything from designing, to building, programming, strategy, awards, etc.). Explain what you learned through this experience.
- How do you believe diversity of perspective changes your robot design, your team chemistry, and even your ability to succeed?
- Who is your STEM role model and why? Does this person inspire you to have a more inclusive team / program? How?
We want compelling, engaging stories that give us insight into how you’ve taken the Girl Powered initiative and incorporated it into your experience on a VRC team. The benefit of having a diverse team will become apparent through your individual stories.
Girls provide a different perspective to the problems of others. Diversity can make a team better because it provides different outlooks on a problem. All of the members of our team have come from different backgrounds and provide different outlook on a problem our robot has which allows it to thrive.
Doing robotics has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I never thought I'd be here where I am, being able to do and understand all the things I do. But I wouldn't be here without the confidence that the Girl Powered movement has given me. I'm Sarah and this is my Girl Powered story.
With <3 from 240P
Girl Power in VEX Robotics is hard to find in many teams and groups. Girls in just a club is hard to find. At least 50% of our VEX class is girls now but in the start it was not 50%. Mr. Anderson has a picture of the first Vex Jets team and there is just one girl out of the whole class. Society created a figure for girls to be the stay at home people while boys go to school to learn and work. According to National Science Board, National Science Foundation, & National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics. (n.d.)...
This is our slide presentation of what the phrase Girl Powered means to the two of us as well as how it affects us in our pathway to STEM.
Andrew: “From a guy’s perspective, girl powered is when girls are confident enough in themselves to take charge and not just sit quietly in a corner.” Koko: “Girl powered means that girls are equal and competitive in all environments of society, especially STEM which has been male-dominated for a long time. We deserve the same chance as everyone else but if we are going to get it, girls have to stick together and be supportive. Emerson: “Girl powered is feeling safe to try new things and not stray away from them because only a few have succeeded. Being girl...